Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3D Design Course and Anaya

I'm taking advantage of the recent surge in traffic to ask about something...

One of the many things that the abundance of time in Pilani offers me is pursuing of a hobby. One of these hobbies is 3D design. I have used Blender 3D for a very long time now and dabbled in daydreams of starting an animation studio, an architectural rendering studio, special effects studio etc. - there is no limit to imagination is there? :-)

And all this with free and open source software.

With passing time, I realise that for a lazy and unmotivated person like me something like this is practically impossible. So instead of spending inordinately long hours in front of the computer fiddling with Blender 3D, I talked to the BITS administration about allowing me to offer a course from next semester on 3D Design.

Its an attempt to pass on what I have gathered through the years and see if you guys can make anything out of it. I also want to demystify Blender 3D which is considered by many to be notoriously difficult to learn - but teaching has always been my one of my strong points. :-)

Here is the tentative handout and summary of the course :


Of course, it is not official yet and and has to meet with BITS' screening and approval. I just wanted you to comment if you are interested so that I would get to know if this is feasible or not. But as I said, it is pending approval and is likely to meet with many changes in requirements and format.

Textbooks really won't be required because there are community tutorials splattered all over the internet.

Last but not least, this is not an engineering or physics course - the aim is to channel creativity to a particular medium and have fun while doing it.

On a related note, I was pleasantly surprised stepping out of my office yesterday and finding a signboard in the TBI area with "Anaya : Animation Unlimited" written on it. I dropped in for a couple of minutes and a nice dude answered all my questions very patiently.

I'm extremely happy because this is the first ever attempted start-up I have seen in BITS that has a very solid technical base. They are using CUDA as of now to accelerate physics calculations for a few animation companies - they plan to branch to OpenCL soon.

For those for whom that didn't make any sense, CUDA and OpenCL are standards which allow us to harness the tremendous power of GPU's (your graphics cards, plainly put) to do calculations much faster than the CPU can handle. There are free SDK's that can be downloaded to do the same - but I know nothing about them. Although I could tell you a thing or to about the graphics card architectures. :-)

Of course, these calculations need to be of a particular type only - otherwise the CPU is faster.

But I'm very happy to see some young guys doing cutting edge stuff sitting in this arid Indian hamlet. CUDA and OpenCL are just getting noticed all over the world and maturing as technologies and these guys are already on to it.

Congratulations Anaya, and best wishes.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!
Read your blog finally! A break from long hours of teaching unlike Pilani :-P
Great to know that students are working on openCL in Pilani :-)
3D graphics... cool! Whatever happened to that startup idea?

Much happyness
Appy!

Anurup said...

Hey Appy, Very Happy!

Yes I am amazed at the news too... :-)

Which startup idea was this? I've had so many I can't remember. :-p

lala said...

@anurup You seem to be concentrating totally upon free open source softwares like Blender,GIMP etc but have u ever heard of Adobe???

yes its not free!!!!but do u know insti has CS4(latest) of loads of Adobe softwares just waiting for guys like you to explore.....

Anurup said...

Hey lala,

I wasn't aware that BITS had CS4 licenses - or what they intend to do with them. :-)

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that Adobe has ANY 3D design applications - within CS4 or outside.

Blender's counterparts really would be Maya, Cinema 4D and the likes.

There are a number of reasons why I choose to concentrate upon FOSS - the primary is that it really frees up your hardware budget - and the more hardware you have for 3D, the better.

Let's say a bunch of these guys decide to start up something of their own. A stripped down version of CS4 is roughly $2500, Maya lowest cost would be $3500 and a Windblows OS license would be around $200 I think. That's about Rs. 3 lakh INR PER WORKSTATION not counting the other bits and pieces that you might require.

With that money and FOSS, you can have at least FIVE high quality workstations which can also come together and act as a render farm when required.

Unknown said...

Why do all good things happen only when I leave :)

I wouldn't have joined a 3D course when I was on campus for sure but this kind of course would sure have laid way for many other creative courses, which I might also would have been interested.Surprised, none of the students have responded with interest on this!

Santosh Lakshman

Murtuza Ali said...

I would have LOVED to register for this course.
:-) :-)
and I second LuckyMurari on the "why do good things happen only when I leave?"

Anurup said...

LuckyMurari, Murtuza - Looks like only the guys who can't do the course, want to do the course. :-D

Anyway, Murtuza, am a big fan of your artwork...

Anaya Labs said...

Hey!

There are similar courses by SDET but none very good. I personally think that many students will want to do this course coz of the "dreamworks" PS. ;)

Thanks a lot for the mention. Hope to do good stuff in the field of visual computing.

Rohit
Anaya

S I D said...

u know..14 yrs of obsession on 3D tht started with IIT.Roorkee way back in 1996, wen we sat for the exams (remember we were mm distance away from each other in fort william)..& finally i think i hav found someone who can understand my language..

i think u shud talk to me..if u r thinking 3D & i mean seriously...email me or call me at 9899670758

swatasiddha